Please review the following guidelines for submissions to the contest:
1. This contest is for children grades 3 through 6;
2. Submissions must be original and unpublished;
3. All entries must be submitted between March 1 and March 21, 2020;
4. Submissions will be accepted at any location in the children's department;
5. Poems must be submitted on one 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper;
6. Poems can be written in any style or format and can be typed or handwritten. All handwritten poems should be submitted on lined paper. Please avoid cursive writing and submit poems in print;
7. Poems should address the Community Counts theme is some way. Think about what it means to be counted in your city or village, or the ways in which you contribute to a happy neighborhood. Examples of topics that fit the theme are Census 2020, neighbors and neighborhoods, inclusion and diversity, acceptance of all people, and Welcome to America.
8. Language that threatens violence or intimidation of an individual or group will not be accepted into the contest or displayed at any library location. All submissions will be reviewed by the APL Exhibits Review Team and should follow our Exhibits and Displays Policy.
Questions? Contact the Children's Department at Santori (630-264-4103), Eola Road Branch (630-264-3421), or West Branch (630-264-3620) for more information.